List of required items to build a triplexer:
- Triplexer Board
- Iron Powder Cores (9 pcs)
- UHF Connectors (4 pcs)
- Good Quality Capacitors
- Stand-offs (6-9 pcs)
- Screws (12-18 for standoffs and 8-16 for Connectors)
- Wire (up to 1.4 mm for toroids, up to 2 mm for air coils, 14ft or 4.3m in length). You can buy magnet wires on eBay, Amazon or in US at this link and this link, in Europe at this link.
Below is a schematics from a software package. It created with 20M band leg shown twice. Please, do not be confused by this.
You can see that some LC trap frequencies is off the particular band. You can move it inside. Please, read Assembly Instruction page to see how LC trap frequencies influence the triplexer.
Please, see an example of a Caps_Set_Values you can use in parallel.
|Name||Value||Core/Caps Type||# of Turns / Caps|
|L20-1||563 nH||T130-17||9t 14.5″ wire length|
|L20-2||289 nH||T130-0||10t 16″|
|L20-3||550 nH||T130-17||9t 14.5″|
|L20-4||207 nH||T130-0||8t 12.5″|
|L20-5||121 nH||Air Coil||2t 14-17mm in diameter|
|C20-1||200 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (5 caps)|
|C20-2||156 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|L15-1||1.047 uH||T130-17||13t 20.5″|
|L15-2||1.32 uH||T130-17||15t 23.5″|
|L15-3||735 nH||T130-17||11t 17.5″|
|L15-4||219 nH||Air Coil||3.5t 14-17mm in diameter|
|C15-1||60 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|C15-2||95.5 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (5 caps)|
|C15-3||44.5 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|C15-4||287 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|L10-1||394 nH||T130-0||12t 19″|
|L10-2||383 nH||T130-0||12t 19″|
|C10-1||124pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|C10-2||147 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (5 caps)|
|C10-3||127 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|C10-4||309 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
|C10-5||474 pF||TDK HV caps||Any values (4 caps)|
- Enclosure: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=1590F or http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=1411RU or http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=1411UU
- TDK high voltage low-dissipation capacitors, type CC45.
- Iron Powder Cores: http://kitsandparts.com/toroids.php
- Use high quality ceramic or Silver Mica capacitors in parallel.
- Wire diameter can be between 1.2 to 1.4 mm for toroids, and no more than 2.1 mm for air coils. The board has 1.5 mm and 2.2 mm holes respectively.
- Spread/compress turns to decrease/increase toroid inductance. For this type of cores you can change inductance as much as 30%.
- Do not make core turns very tight as it will be difficult to spread/compress it for tuning. Use a reasonable force that would keep turns steady but not loose.
- You can glue toroids to the board, but do not use any glue to keep turns steady, the glue degrades Q factor and you can expect triplexer numbers gets lower. Of course, you can experiment how it would work for you.
- L20-5 and L15-4 air coil are quite sensitive to how you mount your board inside enclosure. Because of small inductance of each coil the wire between a triplexer board and an enclosure UHF connector is a significant part of the coil.
- The right way to count wire turns is to do it inside the toroid. As soon as wire goes through the toroid this is a turn.